Israel is one of the few countries that is year-round popular with tourists from all over the world. Here, every traveler finds something to his liking. Magnificent beach holidays offer resorts of the Mediterranean, Red, and Dead Seas. For history buffs in Israel, interesting pilgrimage tours and tours of the three religions’ holy sites have been developed. Numerous resorts, health resorts, luxury hotels, well-developed infrastructure – all this does not leave guests indifferent and pushes them to return to this amazing country.
Going on a trip to Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Bethlehem, any other Israeli city, do not forget to arrange travel insurance. A travel insurance policy can help protect against unforeseen treatment costs in emergency cases.
What are the expenses covered by the basic insurance policy?
Standard travel insurance covers the following expenses:
- Transportation to the clinic for emergency indications;
- Outpatient and inpatient treatment in case of a threat to life;
- Dentist’s emergency care;
- Evacuation of the tourist to his homeland for health reasons;
- Repatriation of the body in the event of the death of the insured person;
- Payment for urgent messages.
Active rest and sports. This option can help to obtain compensation for the costs associated with the treatment of sports injuries. If you plan to engage in cycling, diving, or other active activities while traveling, we recommend that you include this risk in your insurance contract. Please note that you can add certain sports that you will be engaged in Israel.
Loss of luggage. Loss of things in travel – it’s always an unforeseen cost to buy new clothes, essentials, long restoration of documents. The risk of “loss of luggage” will allow you to receive monetary compensation if the suitcases are delayed or lost on the way due to the fault of the carrier company.
Cancellation of the trip. Sometimes circumstances force the traveler to abandon the already paid tour or postpone its terms. In this case, the cost of non-refundable tickets and reservations in the hotel is lost. Insurance for travel to Israel with the option “Cancel travel” compensates for the contract’s damage.
Civil liability. Abroad, in a foreign country, it is possible to harm third parties’ health or property inadvertently.
What risks will insurance not cover?
Exceptions to the amount of insurance liability are detailed in the Insurance Regulations. Before you buy insurance in Israel, read the document carefully to know about your rights. The tourist will have to pay for treatment on his own if the injury or illness was received in the following circumstances:
- Driving without a driver’s license. If you plan to rent a car in Israel, we recommend issuing a separate policy for the car and always carry documents;
- In a state of alcoholic/drug intoxication. The rich nightlife of the resort areas of Israel offers tourists a huge number of bars, restaurants, and dance floors. For fun, you do not need to abuse alcoholic beverages. Alcohol, even in the home walls, often leads to accidents, and in a foreign country, the risk increases many times;
- As a result of a gross breach of security requirements. There are strict rules of conduct in the pool, in the water park, on the beach, on excursions, and in other places. Listen carefully to the instructor, meet basic safety requirements to keep your health;
- Self-medication. It is important to follow all the doctor’s recommendations or not take medication without an appointment during treatment. In case of an emergency, it is not recommended to use folk remedies and similar methods. Treatment must be under the supervision of a specialist.
Dangers for tourists in Israel
The country has a hot climate. In summer, the temperature reaches 40 degrees Celsius, so it is better to plan for the morning and evening hours. It is necessary to drink enough clean water to prevent overheating. Problems with acclimatization can be minimized if you consult a doctor before you go.
There are no mandatory vaccination requirements before traveling to Israel. However, it is advisable to check whether the vaccinations against hepatitis A and typhoid, provided by the tourist vaccination calendar, have been made.
Local snakes are dangerous for foreign tourists. Most of the venomous reptiles live in the northern and southern regions, in the wildest areas. Vipers and scorpions are rarely seen in the resort area, but still, it is necessary to be careful. Do not try to pick up an unfamiliar animal or insect. If you are bitten, see your doctor.
Israeli cuisine is quite harmless for tourists. Most restaurants and cafes are kosher. Meat and dairy dishes are served separately. There are other religious norms, such as not eating pork. Restrictions apply to seafood: eat only the fish that has scales. Food usually does not cause digestive problems if you do not overeat and observe the rules of hygiene.
As for drinking water, there is a clear shortage in Israel. Previously, the water intake was carried out from a fresh lake, but its reserves were not enough with the development of tourism. Now the water supply of cities is desalinated sea and underground water, carefully monitored for its parameters. It is not recommended to drink raw tap water. It is best to use bottled drinks, coolers, and drinking fountains installed on all beaches.
The criminal situation in Israel is never completely calm. Tel Aviv has strained relations with neighboring Arab states, so there is always a threat of terrorism. Metal detectors have been installed in public places, roadblocks have been placed on roads near the borders, and buses are equipped with bulletproof glass. But all these are basic security measures. Such enhanced prevention has almost eradicated street crime and ensured a fairly quiet stay of tourists in resort areas.
Medicine in Israel
Israel is one of the leading countries in the field of medical tourism. The exceptionally high level of professionalism of doctors, modern technologies, and equipment is the hallmark of local clinics.
Most health facilities are private, but there are also no lower government organizations. Many clinics are combined into large multidisciplinary complexes with their own sanitization. Every year hundreds of seriously ill people from all over the world come here and find help in the face of Israeli doctors.
The pharmaceutical sector in the country is also well developed. Pharmacies abound. They are located in almost every quarter. There are 24-hour pharmacies where you can buy medicines with the usual names for tourists.
Among the developed medical infrastructure, it is tough for a foreigner to navigate. To not load your budget with additional expenses, in an emergency, first call the service company and only then go to the recommended clinic.
How much insurance costs in Israel?
The price of a tourist policy depends on the following factors:
- Tourist’s age. The cost of insurance for a child, adult, and older adult will vary;
- Number of tourists. In one policy, you can include up to 4 tourists – the cost will be summed up on all. If there are more travelers, sign up for a second contract;
- Policy type. Insurance to Israel for tourists can be one-time or multiple;
- The duration of the trip. All days of stay abroad should be included in the contract;
- Risky filing. Extended programs are more expensive than standard ones. The increase in value is negligible compared to the possible costs and payments for insurance cases. This is especially true for sports and outdoor enthusiasts;
- Amount of insurance coverage. This amount sets a limit on the financial liability of the insurance company. Coverage of 30,000 U.S. is enough for a short quiet holiday, but in the case of a long trip, traveling with children is recommended to increase the limit to 50,000 or up to 100,000 U.S.
What to do when an insurance case occurs?
- Don’t panic.
- Contact the service center by phone listed in the policy.
- Tell the operator your name, insurance number, and location. Tell them exactly what happened to you.
- Strictly follow the instructions of the specialist. If there is an insurance case, you will be sent to the nearest clinic, where doctors will assist within the contract framework.
If you cannot contact the service center and have independently contacted the clinic, take all the checks and receipts with you. They will be required to receive compensation upon their return home. The financial documents must be properly drawn up. From the moment of the insurance case, you can apply for compensation within 30 days.